Sunday, September 9, 2012

Hero's Journey Deconstruction

For my hero, I chose Katniss Everdeen from The Hunger Games trilogy. At first, when I heard the word hero, I started to think of Batman, Superman, Spiderman, Ironman... etc. and realized that I couldn't pick which one was my favorite. Then I came across The Hunger Games and I knew for a fact that I've read those books about a hundred times.
So in the books, Katniss is triggered to volunteer as tribute after her little sister, Primrose has been chosen as tribute for the 74th Hunger Games. Knowing that Prim does not have the power nor courage to fight against 23 others, she choses to take her place. Surprisingly enough, she makes it out of the games alive and along with her tribute from the same District 12, Peeta. She is then forced into going into the games again risking her life even more. Her sctions, words and aura creates a cause for a revolution no one has expected to happen for ages. Now she is forced to fight for the freedom of all twelve districts and to break away from the customs of putting 24 teenagers into an arena of death. Katniss is my favorite hero because she is unlike others, she is courageous and clever but also afraid in a way that no very many people would understand. She doesn't trust many people but there is something about her that brings everyone near and willing to support her. Throughout the story, she has to go through many obstacles of separation, death, injuries, hatred, war and crime. She is strong till the end hoping that in the end, things will be back to normal, before she volunteered as tribute.

No comments:

Post a Comment